P-BRUINS TAKE ATLANTIC DIVISION TITLE WITH WIN OVER THUNDERBIRDS IN REGULAR SEASON FINALEApr 16, 2023
Providence, RI - The Providence Bruins were crowned the Atlantic Division Champions after defeating the Springfield Thunderbirds 7-3 on Sunday evening at the Amica Mutual Pavilion. Chris Wagner posted two goals and an assist, while five other P-Bruins notched multi-point games. Defenseman Jack Ahcantallied the game-winning goal while short-handed in the third period.
How It Happened
- Marc McLaughlin rushed the puck up the middle of the ice and dropped it for Wagner at the right circle, who hammered a slap shot under the blocker, giving the P-Bruins a 1-0 lead with 12:58 left in the first period. Joey Abate was credited with the secondary assist.
- 43 seconds after the McLaughlin tally, Joona Koppanen slid the puck across to Eduards Tralmaks at the right hash marks, who fired a one-timer past the glove of the goaltender, extending the Providence lead to 2-0. Justin Brazeau received an assist as well.
- While the goaltender attempted to play the puck behind the boards, it ricocheted out in front of the blue paint and onto the stick of Mikhail Abramov for a tap-in to the empty net, cutting the P-Bruins lead to 2-1 with 6:02 remaining in the first frame.
- While playing 5-on-3, Adam Gaudette slid the puck from the right-side boards to the blue paint for a tip-in on the backhand by Will Bitten, tying the game at 2-2 with 1:58 to play in the first period.
- From the point, Connor Carrick found Vinni Lettieri in the right circle for a one-timer that zipped inside the near post for a power play goal, giving the P-Bruins a 3-2 lead with 12:04 remaining in the second period.
- Along the left wing, Dylan McLaughlin fed a pass to Greg Printz cutting down the slot, who wristed it into the back of the net, tying the game at 3-3 with 3:23 left in the second frame.
- While short-handed, Ahcan stole the puck in the neutral zone, skated it up to the left dot, and snapped a shot that zipped into the upper-right corner, giving Providence a 4-3 lead with 16:43 to play in the third period.
- On a 2-on-1 rush, Tralmaks skated the puck up the right wing, before finding Koppanen at the left post for a redirection goal, extending the P-Bruins lead to 5-3 with 12:10 remaining in the third period.
- Skating through the neutral zone, McLaughlin caught a pass from Wagner, made a move around a defender, and fired a shot from the top of the left circle that whistled into the upper-right corner, giving Providence a 6-3 lead with 6:44 left in the third frame. Ahcan received an assist as well.
- From above the blue paint, Wagner tipped a shot from Carrick at the point across the goal line, extending the P-Bruins lead to 7-3 with 4:23 to play in the third period. John Beecher received a secondary assist.
- Lettieri extended his point streak to six games with a goal.
- Carrick, Wagner, McLaughlin, Tralmaks, Ahcan, and Koppanen tallied multi-point games.
- Kyle Keyser stopped 19 of 22 shots faced. The P-Bruins totaled 37 shots.
- The Providence power play went 1-for-4, and the penalty kill was 4-for-5.
The P-Bruins await the conclusion of the first round of the Calder Cup Playoffs and will face the lowest remaining seed in the second round.