P-BRUINS OFFENSE LEADS TO GAME THREE VICTORY OVER WOLF PACKMay 3, 2023
Hartford, CT - After scoring just one goal through the first two games of the series, six tallies from the Providence Bruins led to a 6-3 victory over the Hartford Wolf Pack in game three of the Atlantic Division Semifinals on Wednesday night at the XL Center. Justin Brazeau potted two goals in the contest, while Jack Ahcan notched a goal and an assist. Hartford leads the series 2-1.
How It Happened
- Early on the first power play opportunity of the night, Brazeau snuck a rebound under the goaltender’s pads and across the goal line, giving Providence a 1-0 lead with 4:06 remaining in the first period. Connor Carrick and Georgii Merkulov were credited with the assists on the goal.
- Oskar Steen redirected a Josiah Didier shot from the point into the back of the net with one second remaining in the first period, extending the P-Bruins lead to 2-0. Fabian Lysell also received an assist on the tally.
- Nearing the end of the power play, Luke Toporowski skated the puck down the right wing, beat a defender with speed, and flipped a shot inside the near post, giving Providence a 3-0 lead with 5:57 left in the second period. Ahcan was credited with the assist.
- While on a brief power play, Zac Jones’ slap shot from the top of the circles zipped into the upper right corner, cutting the P-Bruins lead to 3-1 with 24 seconds remaining in the second period.
- 2:21 into the third period, the puck rebounded out to Tim Gettinger in the right circle, who wristed a shot under the goaltender’s pads for a short-handed goal, cutting the Providence lead to 3-2.
- Ahcan intercepted a pass in the neutral zone, sending him alone on a breakaway, where he fired a shot past the glove of the goaltender, extending the P-Bruins lead to 4-2 with 14:02 left in the third period.
- From above the blue paint, Lauri Pajuniemi redirected a feed from Tanner Fritz on right side boards into the back of the net, cutting the Providence lead to 4-3 with 6:26 remaining in the third period.
- With just over four minutes remaining, goaltender Brandon Bussi sprawled from left to right across the goal line and snagged a shot with his glove that was headed for the top shelf.
- With 1:32 left in the third period, Brazeau scored an empty-net goal.
- Vinni Lettieri added another empty-net tally with seven seconds left in the final frame.
- Bussi stopped 28 of 31 shots faced. The P-Bruins totaled 30 shots.
- The Providence power play went 2-for-4, and the penalty kill was 1-for-4.
The P-Bruins travel to Hartford to face the Wolf Pack in game four of the Atlantic Division Semifinals on Friday, May 5 at the XL Center. Puck drop is set for 7:00 p.m. ET.