KOPPANEN SCORES TWO GOALS AND SHOOTOUT WINNER IN VICTORY OVER T-BIRDSMar 19, 2023
Providence, RI - Joona Koppanen tallied two goals in the third period and netted the shootout-winning goal as the Providence Bruins defeated the Springfield Thunderbirds 3-2 in a shootout on Sunday evening at the Amica Mutual Pavilion. Goaltender Kyle Keyser stopped 25 shots, including a sprawling save as time expired in the overtime frame. Providence totaled 56 shots in the contest.
How It Happened
- Adam Gaudette won a battle for the puck in the right corner, wrapped it around the net, and flipped a shot short-side to give the T-Birds a 1-0 lead with 12:49 left in the second period.
- From the left circle, Koppanen fired a wrist shot that zipped inside the near post, tying the game at 1-1 on the power play with 9:58 remaining in the first period. Connor Carrick and Georgii Merkulov received the assists on the goal.
- While shorthanded, Koppanen collected a rebound in the left corner and banked a shot off the back of the goaltender and across the goal line, giving Providence a 2-1 lead with 2:39 to play in the third period. Marc McLaughlin was credited with an assist.
- With the goaltender pulled for the extra attacker, Mathias Laferriere’s shot from the slot beat the goaltender on the glove side to tie the game at 2-2 with 60 seconds left.
- Koppanen’s two tallies were good for his first multipoint game of the season. This was the second time he has scored the shootout-winner this season.
- Merkulov has points in four straight games.
- Keyser stopped 25 of 27 shots faced. Providence totaled 56 shots.
- The P-Bruins power play went 1-for-3, and the penalty kill was 1-for-2.
The P-Bruins travel to Charlotte to take on the Checkers on Saturday, March 25 at Bojangles Coliseum. Puck drop is set for 4:00 p.m. ET.