BUSSI, P-BRUINS DOWN CHECKERS, CLINCH SPOT IN CALDER CUP PLAYOFFSMar 25, 2023
Charlotte, NC - Goaltender Brandon Bussi stopped 30 of the 31 shots he faced, helping the Providence Bruins down the Charlotte Checkers 3-1 on Saturday evening at Bojangles Coliseum. The win clinched a spot in the Calder Cup Playoffs for the P-Bruins. Three third period goals scored by Luke Toporowski, Chris Wagner, and Georgii Merkulov were all Providence needed.
How It Happened
- Toporowski caught a feed up the left wing, beat a defender wide to go on a breakaway and fired a wrist shot inside the far post to give the P-Bruins a 1-0 lead 2:55 into the third period. Connor Carrick and Justin Brazeau were credited with assists.
- From the right circle, Shane Bowers fired a shot that deflected off Wagner in front of the crease and trickled across the goal line to extend the Providence lead to 2-0 with 8:23 remaining in the third period.
- 10 seconds later, the puck squirted out of the left corner to Merkulov above the right circle, where he hammered a one-timer into the upper-right corner, giving the P-Bruins 3-0 lead.
- Santtu Kinnunen’s shot from top of the right circle beat the goaltender on the ice, cutting the Providence lead to 3-1 with 6:49 left in the third frame.
- Toporowski scored in his first game since January 28.
- Merkulov has points in five straight games.
- The Wagner and Merkulov tallies were the fastest back-to-back goals this season for the P-Bruins.
- Providence tallied three goals on five shots in the third period.
- Bussi stopped 30 of 31 shots faced. The P-Bruins totaled 18 shots.
- The Providence power play went 0-for-3, and the penalty kill was 4-for-4.
The P-Bruins remain in Charlotte to take on the Checkers on Sunday, March 26 at Bojangles Coliseum. Puck drop is set for 1:00 p.m. ET.