P-Bruins Move Into Second Place in Atlantic Division

Providence, RI
- The Providence Bruins defeated the St. John's IceCaps 4-3 in an overtime thriller Sunday evening at the Dunkin' Donuts Center. The P-Bruins had goals from Carter Camper, Stefan Chaput and Kyle MacKinnon in regulation and the overtime winner from Andrew Bodnarchuk.

In their second of four meetings on the year, the Providence Bruins and St. John's IceCaps took the ice in the first period playing fast and fluid hockey. Both teams were assessed with high-sticking double minors just over a minute apart in the opening minutes of the frame, but neither power play unit could capitalize on the man advantage. Nearly five minutes of continuous play was broken up by St. John's second penalty of the game. The power play line of Camper, Lane MacDermid and Zach Hamill danced around St. John's defenders in the slot and worked the puck along the half-wall creating give-and-go opportunities, but their scoring attempts were stalwarted by IceCaps' net minder David Aebischer. Providence continued to press St. John's as the period came to a close, dominating play in the IceCaps' zone and drilling shots at Aebischer as the period came to a close.

St. John's defense couldn't handle the late first period pressure from the P-Bruins and were assessed with a tripping penalty with six seconds to play, allowing the P-Bruins to open the second frame on the power play. The P-Bruins picked up where they left off at the end of the first frame, testing Aebischer early and often on the power play. Camper found the back of the net for his second goal of the year at 1:25 on a play that started when Colby Cohen dished the puck to MacDermid along the half wall, who then fed Camper in the slot from behind St. John's net. Play continued to be inundated with penalties as Providence was called on two consecutive plays. St. John's power play unit capitalized on the second man advantage at 10:49 to tie the game at one. Less than a minute later, the IceCaps took the lead when a deflected shot fluttered over Anton Khudobin's glove. The P-Bruins offense was quick to respond with a rush from Calle Ridderwall that was picked up by Chaput, who brought it behind the net and beat Aebischer on the wrap around at 14:07 for his third goal in as many days. Solid play between the pipes from Khudobin kept the score tied going into the final period.

The P-Bruins took the lead at 4:10 of the final frame when rookie MacKinnon scored his first goal of the season, sending home the rebound off Kirk MacDonald's slap shot from the top of the circle. The play went back and forth until halfway through the frame, but at 11:44 Aaron Gagnon collected the rebound and beat Khudobin to tie the game 3-3. MacKinnon nearly scored his second goal of the game a few minutes later, but he couldn't control the bouncing puck in the slot and the overtime was needed to decide the game.

It only took 18 seconds for the P-Bruins to take the game. Hamill rushed the puck through the neutral zone and found Camper on the blue line, who dished a quick pass to Bodnarchuk, who was rushing through the slot. He mishandled the puck, but Camper gave it back to him, allowing Bodnarchuk to beat Aebischer with a quick snap shot down low.

Khudobin earned the win, blocking 40 of 43 Ice Caps attempts. Aebischer suffered the loss, stopping 30 of 34 shots.

The P-Bruins are back in action with a full schedule next weekend. Providence opens the weekend on Friday for the first of a home-and-home series with the Manchester Monarchs. The puck drops at 7:05 p.m. for "T-Shirt Night," with t-shirts free to the first 2,000 fans. The club travels to Manchester on Saturday, before returning to The Dunk on Sunday for a 4:05 p.m. tilt with the Norfolk Admirals for "Stadium Cup Night," which are free to first 1,000 fans. To purchase our special buy-one get-one offer or for more information, call the Providence Bruins ticket office at (401) 273-5000 or log on to the team website at