Providence Bruins

Nov 20, 2016


Hartford, CT - The Providence Bruins fell to the Hartford Wolf Pack tonight in a shootout by a final score of 4-3. Playing in their third consecutive overtime and second consecutive shootout, Providence was unable to complete the comeback attempt after trailing 3-0 early in the second period. Wayne Simpson, Colton Hargrove and Jake DeBrusk scored for Providence, while Anton Khudobin tallied 22 saves in the loss.

Anton Khudobin, in his second consecutive conditioning start for Providence, faced an energized Hartford squad to begin the period. Providence stood strong in front of Khudobin, but soon found themselves behind on the scoreboard. Hartford struck first at 8:32 in the period when forward Chris Brown registered his third goal of the season, assisted by Adam Tambellini and Ryan Graves. Just 61 seconds later the Wolf Pack struck again as Matt Carey, assisted by Philip McRae and Chris Summers, tallied his third of the season to give Hartford a 2-0 advantage. The P-Bruins were able to settle things down and keep Hartford from scoring for the remainder of the period. Thanks to two late period penalties, they were unable to break through on the scoreboard and failed to cut into the Wolf Pack’s lead. Hartford outshot Providence in the period 9-6, and took the 2-0 lead into first intermission.

The second period began in a similar fashion as the first, with Hartford controlling play and scoring in the first half of the period. After Providence was whistled for Too Many Men on the Ice at 6:39, Hartford took advantage of the power play to increase their lead. Wolf Pack defenseman Mat Bodie beat goaltender Anton Khudobin for his third score of the season at 8:08, assisted by Robin Kovacs, to put Hartford ahead 3-0. Now facing a three goal deficit, Providence picked up the pressure to try to climb back into the game. In the final minutes of the period Providence forward Wayne Simpson began the comeback with an unassisted goal, beating goaltender Magnus Hellberg for his fourth goal of the season. Just 30 seconds later the P-Bruins struck again, as forward Colton Hargrove scored on an assist by Chris Casto to cut the lead to 3-2. It was Hargrove’s third goal of the season, and his second in as many games. Providence finished the period with the lead in shots 8-5, but still found themselves trailing by one as the period came to a close.

Providence came out in the third period looking to tie the game early, but Hartford stood strong to hold the P-Bruins scoreless throughout the period. Things looked bleak for Providence late in the period, still trailing by one when Colton Hargrove was whistled for roughing at 18:26. The Bruins would not be denied however, and just eight seconds into the penalty forward Jake DeBrusk slipped a pass from Tommy Cross into the back of the net for the equalizer. The shorthanded goal, also assisted by Colby Cave, helped Providence close out the penalty and push the game into overtime.

Playing in their third consecutive overtime game, Providence only managed one shot attempt in the extra frame. Thanks to some solid defensive play however, Hartford only managed the same. Overtime ended with the score still 3-3, sending the teams to a shootout. The P-Bruins, playing in their second straight shootout, sent Cehlarik, Hargrove and DeBrusk against Hartford goaltender Magnus Hellberg, with Cehlarik scoring for the visiting squad. That result wouldn’t be enough however, as Hartford scored on their final two attempts to win the game by a final of 4-3.

-  -  -  -  -

The Providence Bruins are the American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL’s Boston Bruins, playing their home games at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center in Providence, RI. Spanning more than 20 years, the Boston/Providence affiliation is one of the longest and most successful player development partnerships in professional hockey history.

For all the latest Providence Bruins news and updates visit or follow the team on Facebook at or Twitter at

-  -  -  -  -


Premier Partners