Worcester, MA -- The Providence Bruins defeated the Worcester Sharks 4-3 in a shootout this evening at DCU Center. Jamie Tardif and Justin Florek scored and second-year pro Craig Cunningham added a goal in regulation and the game-winner in the shootout. Niklas Svedberg posted 36 saves in regulation and four in the shootout as the Bruins improve to  22-16-0-3 on the season.

Hot off a 6-1 win over the Portland Pirates last night, the Bruins came out fast and scored three goals in the first 10 minutes. Craig Cunningham scored his eighth goal of the season at 5:38. Ryan Spooner, who had a highlight reel breakaway earlier in the frame, and Carter Camper assisted on the Bruins power play goal. Just over two minutes later, Bruins’ leading scorer Jamie Tardif tallied his 20th goal of the season off a feed from Max Sauvé. Rookie Justin Florek finished the Bruins’ trio of scoring at 9:49 when he redirected Torey Krug’s shot past Alex Stalock. Trent Whitfield had the secondary assist on the play. After the Bruins dominated play for more than half the period, the Sharks got on the board at 14:51 to go into the first intermission trailing Providence 3-1.


Much like the Bruins in the first period, the Sharks came out fast and scored a goal at 1:43 of the second period to come within one and make the score 3-2. The Bruins responded with some great chances, including multiple volleys in front of the net. Their best opportunity came in the second half of the period and the puck sat in the crease, but Spooner couldn’t connect back door and the Bruins went into the second intermission leading 3-2.

The Sharks came back and tied the game at 3 with just over six minutes to play, forcing the game to overtime. Spooner nearly sealed the deal in the opening minute of overtime, but was denied by Stalock. After solid goaltending from both Svedberg and Stalock, the teams’ were forced to  a shootout. Spooner and Sauv
é scored on the Bruins’ first two attempts and Cunningham sealed the shootout win in the seventh round.