Bourque Scores First Goal, Tardif Nets Shootout Winner

Providence, RI
-- The Providence Bruins defeated the Albany Devils 2-1 in a shootout at the Dunkin' Donuts Center tonight. Jamie Tardif scored the game-winning goal in the shootout. Chris Bourque, who also scored in the shootout, netted his first goal of the season during regulation and Niklas Svedberg turned aside four of five shots in the shootout to pick up the victory.

The Bruins defense set the tone in the early stages of the contest as they outshot the Devils 12-6 in the first period and spent the majority of the period in the offensive zone. Bobby Robins provided a spark, with an early bout, dropping the gloves against the Devils' Alexander Urbom at the 11:39 mark. Adam Henrique gave the Devils the early lead with his third goal of the season, capitalizing on a Bruins turnover along the boards by firing the puck past Providence goaltender Svedberg after drop pass from Joe Whitney, who picked up his second assist of the season.

Providence tied the game at the 8:19 mark in the second period on a power-play goal by Chris Bourque, his first goal in a Bruins uniform. Bourque's goal, a one-timer, was set up by a beautiful cross-ice feed through the slot from Carter Camper, who picked up his second assist of the season. The game remained tied, thanks in large part to the play of Albany netminder Keith Kinkaid, who stymied the Bruins on a number of excellent scoring opportunities late in the second frame. Jordan Caron's wrist shot on a two-on-one break was turned aside and the Bruins were halted by Kinkaid on the doorstep minutes later when a rebound resulted in a pileup in front of the net, but no Bruin was able to poke the loose puck home. The Bruins were also turned away by Kinkaid numerous times on the power-play in the final minute of the period.

The action was fast paced and back and forth as both teams were able to generate a number of quality chances in the first ten minutes of the third period. Providence racked up a number of quality scoring chances early in the frame thanks to a pair of Albany penalties, but were unable to capitalize. The Devils best scoring chance came eight minutes into the frame when Tim Sestito's wrist shot from the blue line popped out of Svedberg's glove and was cleared out of the crease at the last moment. Svedberg made a number of key saves down the stretch, especially in the final five minutes, including a highlight-reel stop on Kelly Zajac from point-blank range in front of the Bruins net.

The Bruins held a slim 31-26 advantage in shots on goal in regulation. Kinkaid made saves 30 saves for the Devils, while Svedberg made 25 saves for the Bruins in regulation. Albany's Corbin McPherson was whistled for hooking setting up a Bruins power play late in the five-minute overtime period. Providence racked up seven shots on the man advantage, but were unable to come up with the decisive goal.

The Devils stuck first in the shootout when Matt Anderson beat Svedberg glove-side, but Bourque responded with the equalizer on a flashy forehand-backhand deke to beat Kinkaid. Tardif, the fifth and final shooter for the Bruins, rifled a top-shelf wrist shot past Kinkaid for the game winner.

Providence Bruins action returns to The Dunk this Sunday, November 11 versus the Worcester Sharks at 3:05 p.m. for Megaphone Day. The first 1,000 fans in attendance will receive a free megaphone. To purchase our special ticket offers or for more information, call the Providence Bruins ticket office at (401) 273-5000 or log on to the team website at www.providencebruins.com.