Rookies Shine as Providence Splits Home-and-Home Series with Connecticut

Providence, RI - The Providence Bruins defeated the Connecticut Whale 3-2 this evening at the Dunkin' Donuts Center. The rookies shined for the P-Bruins as Kyle MacKinnon, Carter Camper and Craig Cunningham each netted a goal in the win.

Looking for vengeance on the 3-0 loss the night before, the P-Bruins turned the tables on the Whale early in the first period. All facets of the P-Bruins game was on, from diving saves from the likes of David Warsofsky, to a relentless fore check from the offense. The hard work paid off for Providence at 3:49 of the first period when Cam Talbot couldn't control the initial shot from Cunningham, allowing MacKinnon to stuff home the rebound for his second goal of the year. Calle Ridderwall also assisted on the play. The Whale's frustrations came to a boil at 5:32 when Lane MacDermid dropped the gloves with Aaron Voros in a drawn out battle, of which MacDermid prevailed with a few solid uppercuts. That fight triggered a plethora of emotion among both teams and the score sheet was filled with 72 total penalty minutes for the period, including two misconducts and one game misconduct for Connecticut. Providence's power play capitalized on one man-advantage opportunity at 11:59. Jamie Tardif found Josh Hennessy below the goal line and the veteran forward fed Camper in the slot who beat Talbot blocker side high with a one-timer. Providence kept the Whale off the board for the remainder of the frame and went into the first intermission leading by two.

Still running on the adrenaline from the successful first period, it only took 2:49 into the second for the P-Bruins to take a 3-0 lead. Fed the puck from Tardif in the neutral zone, Cunningham rushed along the right wing and left Talbot looking with a shot from the top of the circle. Talbot was relieved by Chad Johnson as a result of the goal. The Whale got lucky at 10:49 when Kelsey Tessier's shot from along the goal line snuck between Anton Khudobin and the post to bring Connecticut within two. Another Connecticut goal was waived off shortly after as a result of goaltender interference and Providence's penalty kill unit was instrumental in keeping the Whale deficit at two and the P-Bruins went into the second intermission leading 3-1.

The Whale's Tessier netted his second goal of the game just 1:17 into the third, dangling along the goal line to beat Khudobin five-hole and bring Connecticut within one. Despite spending the majority of the frame shorthanded, the P-Bruins penalty kill was flawless and the club held on for the 3-2 win.

Khudobin's 29 saves earned him the win, his first versus Connecticut this season. Talbot suffered the loss, blocking 10 of 13 attempts before being relieved by Johnson, who blocked all 15 shots faced in 36 minutes of play. Providence went 1-for-7 on the power play and was flawless on seven penalty kills.

The P-Bruins are back at The Dunk on Friday, December 16 for a 7:05 p.m. matchup with the Springfield Falcons for Cinch Bag Night, which are free to the first 2,000 fans. The club is on the road Saturday in Connecticut before returning to Providence on Sunday. The P-Bruins face off with Bridgeport at 4:05 p.m. To purchase our special tickets offers or for more information, call the Providence Bruins ticket office at (401) 273-5000 or log on to the team website at www.providencebruins.com.