Whitfield's Goals in Regulation and Shootout Lift P-Bruins Over the Monarchs

Providence, RI
- The Providence Bruins defeated the Manchester Monarchs 2-1 in a shootout thriller tonight at the Dunkin' Donuts Center. Trent Whitfield scored the P-Bruins' lone goal in regulation as well as the shootout winner en route to earning first star honors. Jamie Arniel also scored in the shootout as the P-Bruins snapped an eight-game winless streak.

Much like the play in the first five of 10 regular season games, the Providence Bruins and Manchester Monarchs traded scoring opportunities and glass-rattling hits throughout the first period. The P-Bruins' best opportunities came in the last five minutes of the period when an acrobatic kick save by Michael Hutchinson gave the needed club momentum. Fueled by the stick skills of Zach Hamill, Carter Camper and Max Sauvé, the club's shots on net were stalwarted by heavy traffic in front of Martin Jones. The Monarchs took a 1-0 lead with just five seconds to play. Caught on a bad change, the P-Bruins defense couldn't recover and Brandon Kozun's shot snuck behind Hutchinson for his seventh goal of the season and gave the Monarchs a 1-0 lead going into the first intermission.

Providence completely dominated the second period, outshooting Manchester 14 to 3. The Monarchs were assessed three penalties in the second frame, allowing Providence three man-advantage opportunities. The trio of Hamill, Camper and Sauvé continued to show chemistry and at 9:35 nearly capitalized on a 3-on-2, but Camper's one-timer from Hamill just missed the net far side. Jones continued to be impressive, robbing Lane MacDermid's point blank shot and Jamie Tardif's attempt. Despite the three man-advantage opportunities, Providence couldn't settle bouncing pucks or find the way through traffic in front and although they had over four times as many shots as their opponent, Manchester held on to the 1-0 lead.

The P-Bruins hard fore-checking finally paid off in the third period. MacDermid stripped the puck away from a Manchester defenseman who was trying to break out in the slot. After gaining control of the puck, he sent a backhand towards the net and Whitfield deflected it past Jones for his first goal of the season. Kirk MacDonald also assisted on the play, his eighth helper of the year. The P-Bruins' momentum didn't slow as they continued to crash the Monarchs zone. With five minutes to play, Sauvé was coming across the Manchester blue line and was drilled by a blindside hit from Cam Paddock. Paddock was assessed with a match penalty - illegal check to the head. Providence couldn't capitalize on the power play and the game was sent to extra time.

After a scoreless overtime period, of which the P-Bruins were shorthanded for 1:30, a shootout was needed to decide the outcome of the game. Hutchinson continued to be solid between the pipes, stopping three of the Monarchs first four attempts. On the other side, Arniel tucked a backhander blocker side and Whitfield left Jones looking, roofing a wrist shot for the game-winner.

Hutchinson earned the win, his first of the season, blocking 26 shots in regulation and going 4-for-5 in the shootout. On the other side, Jones stopped 30 attempts in regulation and went 2-for-5 in the shootout.

The P-Bruins are on the road Saturday in Connecticut for the first of a home-and-home series with the Whale. Providence then takes on the Whale at The Dunk on Sunday to wrap up the weekend with Stadium Cup Night at 4:05 p.m. The stadium cups are free to the first 1,000 fans. To purchase our special tickets offers or for more information, call the Providence Bruins ticket office at (401) 273-5000 or log on to the team website at www.providencebruins.com.