Tardif Scores Two Power Play Goal

Providence, RI - The Providence Bruins fell to the Connecticut Whale 3-2 in a shootout Sunday evening at the Dunkin' Donuts Center. The P-Bruins had two power play goals from Jamie Tardif.

Coming off a two-game slide, the P-Bruins were looking to close out the weekend with a win versus the Connecticut Whale. Providence came out of the locker room hungry, dominating the play offensively and physically. The Whale responded physically and were assessed with a boarding penalty just 1:34 into the frame, allowing the P-Bruins to capitalize on the man-advantage. The P-Bruins set up in the Whale's zone and Josh Hennessy found Carter Camper along the point. Camper's shot from the point was deflected past Connecticut net minder Cameron Talbot by Tardif to give the P-Bruins a 1-0 lead at 3:18. Providence continued to dominate play throughout the remainder of the frame, getting quality opportunities from Zach Hamill and Max Sauvé, but they were unable to find the back of the net and went into the first intermission leading 1-0.

Still running on the adrenaline from the impressive first period, Providence took a 2-0 lead just 1:27 into the second stanza. A late first period penalty gave the P-Bruins a power play to open the second period and they were quick to capitalize on the man-advantage. Camper found rookie defenseman David Warsofsky on the blue line, who drilled a slap shot towards traffic in front of Talbot. His shot rebounded out to the low left circle where Tardif one-timed it into an open Connecticut net for his second goal of the night. On the other end of the ice, the Whale started to test the P-Bruins, but solid play from Providence's defense and a couple of acrobatic saves from net minder Anton Khudobin kept the Whale deficit at two going into the final intermission.

The Whale appear to have benefited from having Saturday off to rest their legs because they took control of the game in the third frame. Brendan Bell scored at 9:18 to bring the Whale within one goal. Providence was able to hold off Connecticut's attempts until the final two minutes. Khudobin made the initial save, but Jordan Owens collected the rebound to tie the game with just under two minutes to play sending the game into extra time.

After a scoreless overtime period, the teams were forced to a shootout to decide the game. Connecticut struck first, but Jamie Arniel answered in the third round to tie it up. Rookie Carl Hagelin's goal in the sixth round gave the Whale the 3-2 win.

Khudobin suffered the loss, stopping 35 shots in regulation and four of six attempts in the shootout. Talbot blocked 18 of Providence's attempts in regulation and five of six shots in the shootout for the win.

The P-Bruins kick off a three-game road trip on Wednesday, traveling to Hershey to face the Bears for the first time this season. The club has Thanksgiving off, but will spend the holiday on the road, driving to Norfolk to face the Admirals in a two-game series on Friday and Saturday. The P-Bruins are back at The Dunk on Friday, December 2 for a 7:05 p.m. tilt with the Connecticut Whale for "Rally Towel Night," which are free to the first 3,000 fans. To purchase our special tickets offers or for more information, call the Providence Bruins ticket office at (401) 273-5000 or log on to the team website at www.providencebruins.com.