P-Bruins Records Season-High 40 Shots

Providence, RI
- The Providence Bruins fell to the Manchester Monarchs 2-1 Friday evening at the Dunkin' Donuts Center. The P-Bruins' lone goal came from Max Sauvé.

The P-Bruins and Monarchs came ready to play right from the opening faceoff, quickly pummeling each team's net minders with shots. Providence's Anton Khudobin was flawless in the opening minutes, stoning a breakaway attempt from Manchester's David Meckler and repeatedly denying the Monarch's on back door opportunities. On the other end of the ice, Providence saw offensive opportunities from all five men, including a nice transition play from Josh Hennessy on the half-wall to Andrew Bodnarchuk on the point, allowing the defenseman to send a slap shot towards traffic in front of Martin Jones. Manchester's forwards capitalized on the rebound at 11:19 when Khudobin made the initial save on Jordan Nolan's shot, but a second attempt from Brandon Kozun slipped under Khudobin's arm to give the Monarchs a 1-0 lead. The Monarchs added an insurance goal two minutes later when Patrick Mullen's shot from the point found its way through traffic and past Khudobin. As the minutes ticked off the clock, play started to get physical. Rookie Calle Ridderwall was on the receiving end of a big hit in front of the penalty boxes. Immediately after play resumed, veteran Kirk MacDonald dropped the gloves with Justin Johnson in a heated exchange of blows. Providence seemed to thrive off of the bout, but was unable to capitalize, sending them into the first intermission trialing 2-0.

Play continued to go back and forth in the opening minutes of the second frame, with each team getting in shots, both at the net and at each other. P-Bruins forward Sauvé made an immediate impact in his first game back after missing six straight contests due to injury. The forward recorded his second goal of the year at 10:37 when Hennessy dished the puck to Sauvé, who was sitting on the goal line. Sauvé threw the puck towards the crease where it was deflected in by a Monarchs player, bringing the P-Bruins within one goal. The teams exchanged scoring opportunities and punches as the period wound down. Lane MacDermid dropped the mitts with Johnson, his second fight of the game, at 12:36, pummeling Johnson with uppercuts in front of the benches. Despite a late man advantage opportunity, the P-Bruins couldn't find the back of the net and went into the final intermission behind 2-1.

Providence started crashing the net with shots right off the puck drop in the third period. The P-Bruins controlled the play in all three zones, shutting down Manchester's defense and reading their breakout, which allowed them to test Jones. The P-Bruins best opportunity to tie the game came on a break away from Jamie Arniel midway through the frame, but his attempt was turned aside by Jones. The line of Sauvé, Hennessy and Tardif continued to impress, creating nice give-and-go opportunities, but their attempts were thwarted by Manchester's defense and the continued impressive play from Jones. In a last ditch effort Khudobin was pulled with a minute left, giving the P-Bruins an extra skater. Despite a barrage of shots, the P-Bruins couldn't connect and fell to the Monarchs 2-1.

Khudobin suffered the loss, blocking 32 of 34 Manchester attempts, while Jones earned the win, stopping 39 of 40 shots.

The P-Bruins travel to Manchester on tomorrow night to wrap up the home-and-home series with the Monarchs. The club returns to The Dunk on Sunday to face the Norfolk Admirals for "Stadium Cup Night," with stadium cups free to the first 1,000 fans. To purchase our special tickets offers or for more information, call the Providence Bruins ticket office at (401) 273-5000 or log on to the team website at www.providencebruins.com.