Back at The Dunk Friday, March 1

Norfolk, VA
-- The Providence Bruins fell to the Norfolk Admirals 3-2 in a shootout this evening at the Norfolk ScopeChristian Hanson and Kevan Miller scored in regulation and Graham Mink added a shootout goal. Michael Hutchinson posted 34 saves as the Bruins earned a point.

The Bruins, hot off their fifth straight win and a 3-0 blanking of the Admirals the night before, came out ready to play right off the opening draw. Less than seven seconds into the first period, Tyler Randell and Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond dropped the gloves in a heated and drawn exchange of right hooks. No more than 31 seconds later, Bobby Robins joined Randell in the sin bin after exchanging some blows with Troy Bodie. The Admirals would strike first on the scoreboard, scoring a power play goal at 6:49 of the first period. Some hard forechecking and volleys in front of Frederik Andersen caused the Admirals to get penalties. However, the Bruins power play unit, which scored two power play goals last night, could not capitalize.

The Admirals finally collapsed under the Bruins pressure at 4:11 of the second. After creating confusion in front of the Admirals' net, a shot from Hanson was deflected past Andersen to tie the game 1-1. Justin Florek and Robins assisted on Hanson's seventh goal of the season. 

Third period play started to get chippy as the Admirals were clearly getting frustrated at their failed attempts to score on Hutchinson. After a scrum in front of the Providence goalie, Miller reassured to the Admirals not to mess with the Bruins' netminder, with some pushes and shoves on the Admirals' Brandon McMillan. Perhaps even better than sending a physical message is to send a message on the scoreboard and the Bruins did just that at 9:34. Off a feed from Matt Bartkowski, Miller sent a bomb to the front of the net and past Andersen to take a 2-1 lead. Ryan Spooner also assisted on the go-ahead goal. However, Norfolk tied the games at 15:34 after they finally capitalized on the third attempt on Hutchinson.

After a scoreless overtime, the teams went to a shootout. The first three shooters for both teams failed to find the back of the net. Luca Caputi scored for Norfolk, but Graham Mink answered with his own beautiful goal to even the score. After one more failed attempt from both teams, Jordan Hendry won it for the Admirals with a shot just underneath the cross bar.