Tardif Tallies 21st Goal of the Season

Bridgeport, CT
-- The Providence Bruins defeated the Bridgeport Sound Tigers 3-2 in a shootout this evening at Webster Bank Arena. Craig Cunningham and Jamie Tardif scored in regulation and Carter Camper got the game-winner in the shootout. Niklas Svedberg posted 36 saves in the win as the Bruins improve to 23-16-0-3 on the season.

After a flat opening 10 minutes from both the Bruins and Sound Tigers, Bobby Robins and Brett Gallant, who lead the league with major penalties with 25 and 22 respectively, dropped the gloves. The Bruins gained momentum from the bout, but were still unable to find the back of the net. Instead, Ty Wishart beat Svedberg with a wrist shot with just under two minutes to play in the first frame. However, with just 25 seconds to play in the first, Cunningham notched his ninth goal of the season, connecting with Camper and Torey Krug on the power play to send the teams into the first intermission tied 1-1.

Bridgeport's Wishart struck again at 13:08 of the second frame to tally his second goal of the game and fourth of the season. The Sound Tigers largely controlled the momentum in the second as they had three power play opportunities, including Wishart's goal at 13:08. Despite some beautiful opportunities, the Bruins couldn't break past Kevin Poulin.

Krug nearly tied it up for the Bruins in the opening minutes of the third, but his shot from the point was called off due to incidental contact on the goalie. However, the call fuelled the Bruins fire as they controlled the third period. Tardif tied it up with five minutes to play in the frame, notching his 21st goal of the season of a pass from Ryan Spooner and Krug.

After a scoreless overtime period, the game headed to a shootout. The first four shooters both Bridgeport and Providence hit anything but the back of the net, largely in part to great goaltending from Svedberg and Poulin. However, Camper proved too much for Poulin. The fifth shooter for the Bruins deked and left Poulin looking as he gave the Bruins the 3-2 shootout victory.