Point Streak Snapped at Eight

Providence, RI -- The Providence Bruins fell to the St. John's IceCaps this afternoon 4-0 at the Dunkin' Donuts Center in the teams' fourth and final match up of the season. It would be Providence's first regulation loss since their last match up against St. John's on November 24th.

The Providence Bruins came into the game riding an eight game point streak but had to play from behind early in the game when Aaron Gagnon beat Michael Hutchinson right in front just 45 seconds in to make in 1-0 in favor of the IceCaps. The Bruins started to turn things around in the second half of the period with a great chance by Craig Cunningham at 12:59 but his puck went right into Mark Dekanich's pads. He had a second chance on the shift but fell down before he could get the puck at the net. Late in the period Jordan Caron took his second penalty of the game when he was sent to the box for high-sticking. While the Bruins penalty kill came out strong on his first penalty, it was not enough this time as Paul Postma sent a rocket from the blue line that hit the back of the net to make 2-0 that would carry into the first intermission.

The middle period would not be good to the Bruins either as the home team struggled to find their offense. Caron took his third penalty of the game just over a minute into the frame and the penalty kill unit managed to kill it off but would not be so lucky later in the period when Christian Hanson went off for kneeing at 11:24. With 22 seconds remaining on the man advantage, the IceCaps extended their lead to 3-0 with a goal from Kael Mouillierat. One of the best chances the Bruins had in the period was a beautiful pass from Lane MacDermid behind the net to Bobby Robins out in front but he could not get it past Dekanich. Robins has had success against the IceCaps in their first match up this season when he tallied a goal and an assist. Providence had a chance to get on the board late in the period when Postma took an interference penalty with under three minutes to give them their second power play chance of the period. The Bruins could not capitalize with the extra skater and the score would remain 3-0 going into the second intermission.

Providence kept battling into the final period but still could not come up with a goal. Play went back and forth on the ice until there were about seven minutes to go when a turnover in the defensive zone led to a fourth goal for St. John's. The goal would be the IceCaps' 11th straight goal against the Bruins in regulation dating back to Providence's shootout win over St. John's on November 24th. The IceCaps had a chance to make it 5-0 with under two minutes to go when a puck went off the cross bar and Hutchinson dove to his left to cover up the puck. Despite putting up 40 shots, the Bruins fell to the IceCaps by a final of 4-0. Hutchinson made 24 saves and suffered the loss, bringing his record to 3-5-2-1.